Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Clean Eating - Granola Recipe

Pin It
Well, we are a few days in to the new diet plan.  So, I am going to update you on what we've been eating and share some recipes.  We've been eating really well, and to my hubby's surprise, the food has been super tasty and satisfying.  The kids are so-so.  Our oldest thinks she is in serious need of meat.  The youngest wants more normal food.  Ironically, they are both my girls.  My son, he's fine with whatever.  Kind of funny.

Here's our run down:

Day 1

Breakfast was from the Eat Clean Diet Cookbook 2- Orzo Frittata
I don't actually own a skillet that is oven proof, so I had to adapt the recipe a bit.  I cooked it on the stove with a lid.  But, if you do that don't stir the orzo in much.  If it gets on the bottom it gets crunchy. :)
The frittata has eggs (I used whole egg, but the recipe calls for mostly egg whites), sea salt, black pepper, olive oil, mushrooms, red pepper, summer squash, garlic, whole wheat orzo, and chives.  It was super yummy!

My kids are used to having snacks to grab, so I have to come up with some readily available goodies that are healthy.  My first batch was some granola.  This is based on another recipe from the ECDC-2.  I changed it up so I will share what I did!

Granola
(If you have nut allergies in the family try using  more oats, and fruit.  I have one suspected tree nut allergy child, so I am planning to adapt this for her.  I may use soaked groats in place of the nuts. Groats are oats before they get flattened into cute pancakes, they are the seed head.  So you can soak them overnight and make them more nutritious.  I love soaked groats, they are chewy and tasty!)
In a bowl combine:
1/4 C honey
1/4 C coconut oil (heat it so it is liquid)
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
After that is all stirred together stir in:
about 3 C rolled oats (not quick oats)
1/4-1 C slivered or sliced almonds (depending on your tastes.  You could also up the nutrients by soaking whole almonds overnight then chopping them up and adding those)
1/4 C (depending on your preference you can add more or less) chopped cashews (You can also soak these like the almonds if you want more nutrients)
1/2 C (again, do it to your tastes) shelled pumpkin seeds
2 Tbs flax seeds
1/2 C coconut flakes
***1-2 Cups your favorite dried fruits (I used golden raisins, cranberries, bing cherries and currants)
***If you want crunchier granola add the fruit AFTER toasting the granola in the oven.
Heat oven to 250 degrees. Cover a large edged cookie sheet with foil and lightly spray with olive oil spray.  Spread the granola mixture on it evenly.  Bake for 30 minutes. This will give you a softer, chewy type granola.

If you like crunchier granola simply wait to add the fruit until after baking.  Bake granola mixture (no fruit) for about 75 minutes, stirring it at least once during baking.  Then add the fruit.



The granola and PBJ's ended up being lunch (we left to run some errands), and everyone liked the granola- it was gone by the end of the day.

Dinner was from two of the Eat Clean Books:

From ECDC 2: Creamy Artichoke Soup (Adults liked it, not the kids.  The girls didn't like the thick texture.)

And I paired that with a salad from Eat Clean Diet Recharged's Black Bean and Corn salad.  I loved the dressing this one had.  I thought it sounded bizarre, and possibly gross.  But so far, I've liked all of Tosca's recipes, so I went ahead with it.  It has apple butter, lemon juice, toasted sesame oil, tamari (a cleaner version of soy sauce) and a little sea salt.  It was an amazing flavor!  The salad is pretty simple- black beans and corn, peppers, tomatoes, green onion and cilantro.  There were no leftovers from the salad!

So, day one was a hit for the most part.  Joe survived a meatless day, possibly the first in his life.  He loved the flavors and variety of the food.  The kids liked most of the recipes, too!

If you want to clean up your diets and keep it totally do-able, I highly recommend any of Tosca Reno's Eat Clean books.  They also have a section that explains your food, the why's, the how's, the science and she makes it totally easy to read.  The recipes all have pictures, and they are so yummy.  I posted links to them from Amazon in my sidebar.  That's where I get them, and I just go with whatever is the cheapest in good to new condition.

No comments: